MembershipThe Cabrillo College Federation of Teachers, American Federation of Teachers Local 4400, represents all faculty at Cabrillo College. Our membership includes teachers, counselors, librarians, and other academic employees. Our strength lies in member participation and involvement, and our collective action. By joining the union, you support our efforts at the bargaining table to improve our conditions of work and the efforts at the state and national levels, where our parent unions work in support of faculty and public education.
Benefits of union membership:As a union member, you will have the right to vote in union elections and on contract ratification. In addition, you will have access to scholarships, occupational liability insurance, and other discount programs, including:
- Access to a million dollar occupational liability insurance
- Access to an AFT legal action trust
- Access to various union scholarships
- Access to various services and discounts through our national affiliate, the AFT
- MasterCard: no annual fee, skip-payment privileges during a strike
- Low-cost group insurance plans: term life, hospital income, disability income (short and long term), accidental death, catastrophe, Care Plus (retirees)
- Home mortgage: competitive rates, low down payments
- Education loans: affordable education loans from Sallie Mae
- Prescription drugs: discounts and free delivery
- Legal: free 30-minute consultation with a union-friendly attorney, reduced rate personal legal service
- Loans: low-interest personal loans ($2,500 to $15,000)
- Dental and Vision: average of 20% – 50% savings
- Discounts on travel, theme parks, movies, hotels, motor club, car rentals, etc.
- Discounts on auto buying, computers, flowers, home energy discounts, magazines, flowers, Powell’s Books, Consumer Reports, AT&T wireless services, Goodyear Tires, and more.
- Educational tours: international travel for educators and students
- Plus lots more benefits for AFT members
Not sure if you’re a union member?
A deduction from your paycheck does NOT necessarily mean that you are a union member. To become a member, you must have completed a membership card (hard copies are light blue). All Cabrillo College faculty members must decide whether to join the union or pay a service fee—called an agency fee—that is equal to union dues (each agency fee payers may request a modest reduction). The default status is agency fee; thus, if you have not completed a membership card you are paying agency fees, not union dues.
Become a member
If you would like to become a member, please complete a membership card, and send it to the CCFT mailbox on the main Cabrillo Campus (6500 Soquel Dr., Aptos, CA 95003).
Activate your AFT membership card online
Click on the following link to activate your card: www.aft.org/members/. Note that new members should receive an AFT membership card about a month after becoming a member.
Contact your division representative, a CCFT officer or the CCFT office (464-2238).